Sunday 5 January 2014

Gooey and dense: Praline Brownie & Honey Oatmeal

The penny dropped at some point between morning and lunch. You know when you're not quite hungry, but lunch should really happen sometime soon...but your strong chocolate cravings muffle up your nutritional pangs?

I had a waitressing shift from 12pm on wards. I wasn't hungry enough to chow down something too hearty, but everyone knows it's a bad idea to serve delicious, fried food, cheesecakes and crumbles on a gnawing stomach unless you really want time to go super slow and you generally enjoy the feeling of starvation...

Oatmeals good, right?

Oatmeal sounded perfect. 
It wasn't as if I had eaten 2 bowls of granola and with a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast already...

But then again, so did a nice big, endless block of rich and creamy dark chocolate. (Maybe 55% cocoa - gurl knows her chocolate)

Sigh. I was getting ready for work on a Sunday. Was this really my dilemma? 

Finally, I made oatmeal. Or 'porridge' as we English like to say. Into the microwave it was chucked. 30 seconds, a little bit of soda and a heap load of cocoa powder later...voila. It was the densest, most decadent bowl of oatmeal ever. It had a consistency like how under baked, peanut butter brown sugar and chocolate cookies do...just so....gooey. There wasn't even peanut butter in it. Yet, it managed to be fluffy, creamy, smooth and well textured all at the same time. I credit this the baking soda that was added before cooking it.

Mouth water.

Mouth is watering.

Mouth is watering now...



The photo really does not do it justice. It was so rich and just oh-so purely chocolatey. 

I am authorized to verify this for you. I am the girl who eats 90% dark chocolate with unsweetened hot chocolate on a normal day.

The picture kinda looks like the batter for rice krispie choco squares? Either way. This was so quick. Around 3 minutes from cocoa jar to table. 

By the way, there's a rule. If you make it...you have to eat it with your favorite spoon our of your special bowl. There is just no other way. 



I had literally 15 minutes to concoct, photo and eat it. It might inspire you to know that I also added about 40g of chocolate chips afterwards. Well. I say 'chips' like a good, well stocked baker....but in reality. I just did my best to crumble a load of alpine praline chocolate that's been sat here a while, over shadowed by my giant stash of dark chocolate (in all the consecutive percentages, of course).

When I put them on top, they melted and went super ooey gooey and captured my heart in a single mouthful. My taste buds were pulsating, taking a trip to paradise (the budget kind). 

This oatmeal is dangerous. But super substantial too (this makes it a little more sensible sounding).

I was going to sweeten it with honey. But then I found some Golden Syrup. I know golden syrup isn't so good for you but I love is so much and it goes so well with porridge and it is so thick and sweet and golden and oh...I love you golden syrup (even if my teeth don't). 

You can totally have a kg of chocolate for breakfast with this genius excuse:



Recipe: (Makes 1 serving)

  • 1/2 cup quick cook oats
  • 1/2 cup whole or semi skimmed milk/vegan alternative 
  • Sprinkle of cinnamon
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 Heaped tbsp cocoa powder
  • Honey/sweetener of choice
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • Extra chocolate/chocolate chips for meltage bliss!
  1. Mix the oats + milk. Stir well. Next add the cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and vanilla. 
  2. Microwave on high for about 1.5 minutes. Add cinnamon, put back into the microwave for another 30 seconds. (Be careful because the soda will make it rise)
  3. It should be done after around 2 and a half minutes. Stir again, add any more milk (it should be quite thick) to get your desired consistency
  4. Add honey and stir
  5. Go crazy on chocolate chips.
  6. Enjoy!
Wanna try? Tell me what you think! :):)

Hope you had a lovely weekend!

Tash xo








No comments:

Post a Comment